PayPal is no longer accepting new Digital Goods integrations. If you already have Digital Goods for Express Checkout enabled on your PayPal account then you can continue to use this gateway integration in MemberPress without issues.
If you do not have Digital Goods for Express Checkout enabled on your PayPal account, you may not be able to use this integration. We recommend calling PayPal's support and asking for Digital Goods for Express Checkout to be enabled - some customers have reported success with calling and asking.
If you are unable to get Digital Goods for Express Checkout enabled, then the only other alternative currently is our PayPal Standard integration. We are working to find other alternatives for handling recurring payments in Express Checkout and will update this notice if/when we have another solution available.
What this video covers:
To get started, navigate to the options menu in MemberPress and select payments.
- Click the plus button and select the gateway "PayPal Express Checkout"
- Label it whatever you want. This is the name that your users will see when they go to select how to pay.
- Log in to your PayPal account to obtain the necessary information: API Username, API Password, and Signature.
- Go into your Profile and select Selling Tools.
- Select update on the API Access option.
- Selection Option 2: View API Signature.
- Copy and paste the credentials into your MemberPress Settings.
- Copy the Paypal IPN URL from MemberPress.
- Go back to PayPal - Profile - Selling Tools, just like before.
- Select update on the Instant Payment Notifications option.
- Select Choose IPN Settings
- Paste the URL into the Notification URL box
- Check the "Receive IPN Messages(Enabled)" option.
- Hit Save
- Go back to MemberPress and hit Update Options to save your changes.
To use the Sandbox mode with this gateway, you will need to have a developer account setup at developer.paypal.com. Once you're done testing in sandbox mode, be sure to update your API credentials and IPN URL to reflect the live account.
MemberPress requires PayPal Digital Goods through Express Checkout. Due to changes at Paypal, you'll need to contact Paypal support in order for them to enable Digital Goods through Express Checkout if it isn't already enabled on your account. If Digital Goods is not available in your country, and your PayPal account is newer than 2009, you might want to consider using our PayPal Standard integration instead.
Note about Pausing/Resuming Subscriptions with PayPal. PayPal does not send out an IPN when a Subscription is resumed. Because of this, we strongly recommend that you do not resume a subscription from within PayPal itself -- rather always resume your Subscriptions from within the MemberPress admin interface. If a member resumes a Subscription within their own PayPal account, MemberPress will NOT be notified and the Subscription will still show as "paused" in your dashboard - so be aware that there may be instances when you would need to manually change a Subscription's status back to "enabled" in these rare cases.
How to Test with PayPal
To test with PayPal, you are required to set up Sandbox Account. For detailed instructions on how to do this, please visit this page.